Sunday, September 28, 2008

Anatomy of a Search engine

Recently I've been reading about the search engine concept so I could understand how to optimize my website and blog. I've found out about the formula to calculate page rank. It's quite interesting even though I don't really understand it yet. Here's the formula:


"We assume page A has pages T1...Tn which point to it (i.e., are citations). The parameter d is a damping factor which can be set between 0 and 1. We usually set d to 0.85. There are more details about d in the next section. Also C(A) is defined as the number of links going out of page A. The PageRank of a page A is given as follows:

PR(A) = (1-d) + d (PR(T1)/C(T1) + ... + PR(Tn)/C(Tn))

Note that the PageRanks form a probability distribution over web pages, so the sum of all web pages' PageRanks will be one."

I found this from the website "The Anatomy of a Search Engine". Maybe it can help you to understand more about the search engine's concept. All the best! =)


Regards,


Tim

No comments: